One mans quest to sample 4000 beers by the time he is 40!

Friday, February 18, 2005

Biggest Check!

Well for the people who know me well enough, they know I used to play street hockey for years and love the sport of hockey. Having lived in the North Eastern part of the United States made it easy to follow. Plus having the Madison Square Garden channel helped in following my beloved NY Rangers (specially in '94 when they took it all). So after hearing that the season had been cancelled I was sorta in the blues and no reference to St. Louis here. It seems that the players in sport have corrupted all aspects of games. Trust me if I could play any sport at a pro player level, I would expect to get paid, but what is the difference once your over a million dollars in salary. If you worry more about the pay check then the game why play, wasn't it the love that made you strive to play and practice to make the pro's. I mean the players union doomed the hockey season. Yet they are the ones that speak out how's it's all Bettmans fault for the season when they couldn't agree on a team spending 6 million less on payrolls a year.

I agree that hockey can't afford the salaries that other sports do, the fan base in the USA is not as good as in Canada and well it makes it hard on the owners to keep things running. My example is Buffalo. Great hockey and football town, but ticket prices has been driven so high that they can not keep the seats full and pay players. The past few years they have been bankrupt and as it looks that they will move the team, that's if the league makes it after this cancellation.

Now another point I wan to make about the players is that they will never look in the mirror and see their true evil. They bitch how they lose out on there season and all hey want to do is play, then why didn't a deal get done? Because in the end they are like all other athletes egotistical scum who want to live a over paid over spent life and it makes me sick. I feel bad for the players like Mark Messier who most likely will not get to retire after his last season with the recognition he deserves because well this ones over. I guess I will just start following minor league hockey at least those guys play with heart and for the love of the game. With the hope of getting a glimpse of one NHL game.

Okay this is my one and done hockey rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home